Wednesday 3 November 2010

Letter 8: Cannot Teach an Old Dog New Tricks...But You Can Bribe Him with Treats


Because of this, that is my happy and healthy marriage... I got this....


Meet Baxter, Alan's 15 year old mutt (please take this opportunity to notice our vintage couch coverings. I say vintage, because lets be honest... it sounds better).  Having never had a dog it was difficult for me to commit to having Baxter live with us in Edinburgh. Baxter came to visit for a week while Alan's Parents, Sarah and the kidlettes were off on a trip.  It became painfully obvious that Baxter would be a happier dog and Alan would be a happier boy, if  Baxter stayed in Edinburgh with Alan and me.  So while not originally planned we now have a pooch.  There are some new rules for Baxter learn. No sleeping on Alyson's side of the bed. I had to compromise on that because no matter how many times I told Baxter he was not wanted on the bed at all, he just would not listen. Now, I put boxes on my side of the bed and he can't lay down, HA!  He has to stand still for me while he gets brushes which happen at least twice a week and the vacuuming three times a week, I do the vacuuming Baxter just has to stay out of the way.  It is nice to get the exercise walking through the park with the dog, but totally creepy when I have to walk him at night, past the haunted/squatter's nest/ uber scary abandoned house.   There are a lot of things I could say about how difficult it has been adjusting to having Baxter, but I know that our dog will not change.  You simply cannot teach an old dog new tricks... He does respond well to treats though.

1 comment:

  1. It so surprises me you put up with a dog, especially in the house, especially in your bed. Ewwww, shutter. Dog hair, Dog Smell...need I say more. The things that we sacrifice for those we love.

    ReplyDelete